The Stained Glass Windows
Our beautiful memorial windows of European stained glass were placed in dedication to various historic personalities of Methodism.
The “Wesley Window” faces the pulpit from the rear balcony. It shows life-sized busts of John and Charles Wesley. At the top of the window, there is a globe which bears John Wesley’s famous utterance, “The world is my parish.” The needlepoint altar kneeling pads, lovingly stitched by the members of our congregation with that same logo, were dedicated on June 25, 2000.
The church is patterned after Queen’s Kirk in Amsterdam, Holland. It is Gothic-style architecture, and has spires measuring 136 and 196 feet in height. The height of the sanctuary from floor to ceiling is 43 feet. Twice, in 1946 and in 1953, fire caused extensive damage but, due to a steel ceiling in the sanctuary which had been installed in 1902, the fire was contained and the sanctuary saved from destruction.
The Noack Organ, Opus 100, 1985
Our 62-rank mechanical action organ was inspired by the church’s fine architecture and rich choral tradition. It was also Fritz Noack’s first organ in the South.
Located in a raised choir gallery within the front central apse, the organ speaks straight into the nave. The organ cost $450,000 in 1985. The funds were pledged by the congregation in one week’s time. Wesley Monumental’s congregation has always valued great music as a part of worship. It was dedicated in 1985, and Joan Lippincott played the dedication recital.
Fifteen years later, Lippincott returned to present a progressive recital, “The Noacks of Savannah,” which also featured the 45-rank Noack organ in the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist, just one square north on Abercorn Street. The organ celebrated its 30th birthday in 2015 with a choral and organ concert presented by the Wesley Choir and guest organist Bruce Neswick.
Oliver Hall, formerly known as The Clark-Espy House, was built in 1859 for W.P. Clark, a Savannah grocer. Beginning in 1914, it was owned by Carl Espy. Over the subsequent years, the home was used in many ways: US hospital home for nurses, a parish home, and then divided into rental apartments.
In 2008, renovations began to convert the ground floor of the building into church offices and classrooms. From 2012 through 2015, the upper three floors were also renovated. Finally, in 2015, the building was dedicated for use and renamed to Oliver Hall.
Today, Oliver Hall houses the administrative and pastors’ offices on the ground floor. The library is on the second floor. All other rooms are used for adult Sunday School and Bible study spaces as needed.